Thursday, January 3, 2008

Gammons Against Santana Deal

In his chat, Peter Gammons provided his opinion on a possible Red Sox trade for Johan Santana. In the words of Gammons:

"The more I’ve thought about the Santana deal, the more I’m convinced it’s not a great idea. Whether it’s the Ellsbury deal or the Lester deal, the Sox would still be giving up three young players and I don’t discount the importance that Lowrie will play in the next couple of years."

I definitely agree that a deal for Santana including Jacoby Ellsbury and Jed Lowrie would not be in the best interests of the team. I love Johan Santana but dealing the Red Sox two best position prospects in order to acquire him would clearly hurt the team's future. It makes me nervous that this deal may still be on the table.

I think the Red Sox could absorb the loss of Lester a little more easily, given the team's superb pitching staff. But either way, the Red Sox will be dealing Jed Lowrie. If Lowrie's major league production is anywhere near his .850+ Minor League OPS's, Lowrie would become one of the best shortstops in baseball.

No comments: